Before posting this book review on Adrian Eben’s controversial book “The Return of Elijah – Comfort My People” I stumbled upon a paragraph at the front of the book that caught my attention.
If you have received this document from anyone other than directly from the author, you have received it without permission. Please contact the author.
This document is not to be handed out to members of the Adventist church or used to undermine the leadership of the Adventist church.
An earlier version of this document was rejected by the Biblical Research Committee of the South Pacific Division as having no light and not to be openly distributed to the “church in general” and I wish to respect this request. It may only be given to individuals upon direct request of the author and not to be passed on to anyone else. – Title Page – The Return of Elijah by Pastor Adrian Ebens
Thankfully I found this book online so in a sense I was given it directly from the Author. If I post this article online am I potentially handing it out to members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church? Possibly. Why did the BRI (Biblical Research Institute) who are a group of biblical scholars located in the world office of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists read this book and reviewed it with the conclusion that it is a book with “no light”. I haven’t done the research on that question but I could make an educated guess that it has something to do with our church position on the fundamental belief of the Trinity doctrine. Adrian Eben’s book does touch on the 3-in-1 and 1-in-3 belief system but the book is so much more than just the Trinity. I humbly would like to add my book review next to the Biblical Research Institute conclusion and encourage everyone (Seventh-day Adventists, Baptists, Methodists, Catholics, and every professed believer of Jesus Christ that I have missed) to put it on there “soon to read” book list. Why?
The book “The Return of Elijah Comfort My People”:
- Uplifts Jesus as the Son of God.
- Defines the word “Equality” very well (Helps to understand the question about Women’s ordination and Women Pastor’s in the Seventh-day Adventist Church). Word definitions are extremely important.
- It explains the difference between a power centered view of God versus a relational centered view of God.
- Reveals how many of the SDA doctrines become problems when you are focused on “performance-based thinking”.
- Gives great understanding why Sunday keeping Christians can believe in Sunday worship when the Bible is clear that the Sabbath is the true day of rest and worship.
- Quotes from Adventist Pioneers and the writings of Ellen White showing the foundation which the church was built on.
- Lifts up the 10 Commandments as a key to life, identity and value. (Chapter 3)
- Allowed me personal to have a better relationship with my Dad when I understood the “channel of blessing” principle.
- Clearly shows that Adrian Ebens loves the Seventh-day Adventist church and desires to share the blessings he has received from studying the Word of God.
This book was a jet of light to me personally. I truly gained by reading it. I would like to re-read it again. If anyone has a statement from BRI showing why the institute in Silver Spring, Maryland did not want this book openly distributed to the “church in general” I would be more than happy to post it for the reader to discern.
Visit one of the author’s websites directly to download the PDF here: http://maranathamedia.com/adrian-ebens/books/the-return-of-elijah
I mean no disprespect for the Biblical Research Institute by disagreeing with their conclusions or disregarding there counsel in sharing this book that has helped me grow closer to my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. The decision of posting this positive book review is based on the principle of Act’s 4:19-20 But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye. For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.
Have you read the book? Your witness matters. I open the comments up to positive or negative reviews.
Table of Contents of Adrian Ebens Book “The Return of Elijah”
1. Life Source. 13
2. Value System.. 21
3. Protecting God’s Life Source and Value System with the Law.. 28
4. The Perversion of Self-Centredness. 35
5. Same Gods Different Names. 39
6. How Do You Read?. 44
7. No Longer a Servant. 52
8. Impact on Doctrines. 57
9. “Proving” that Sabbath Keeping is Legalism.. 78
10. “Proving” that the Sabbath is not Legalism Using the Same Logic Sequence. 82
11. Comparing the Two Premises. 85
12. The Common Denominator. 87
13. Build Your House on Rock of Truth.. 90
14. The Trinity.. 91
15. Applying the Trinitarian Premise. 96
16. Brief Examination of the Arian Position.. 102
17. Using a Power-Based Underlying Assumption.. 103
18. The Core Issue. 105
19. Using a Relational-Based Underlying Assumption.. 107
20. We will not Have this Man to Reign Over Us. 112
21. What Type of Measuring Rod is that in your Hand?. 121
22. The Spirit of God.. 127
23. Knowing God.. 139
24. The Same Yesterday, Today and Forever. 147
25. Building a Solid Platform.. 155
26. Growing on the Solid Platform 171
27. Assumed as a Fact. 180
28. Seven Common Methods Used to Defend the Trinity.. 185
29. Christ as Originator or Representative. 200
30. Sealed with the Father’s Name. 205
31. Made in His Image and Likeness. 210
32. Restoring the Glory of Children by the Coming of Elijah.. 221
33.Life Structures – Individual, Family, Church, Community.. 232
34. Seed/Nurture Authority Structures. 243
35. My Personal Experience. 246
36. A Word to my Fellow Pastors and Administrators. 252
37. A Word to the Church and Advent Believers Worldwide. 257
38. The Fall of Babylon.. 259
Appendix A – Pioneer Statements on the Trinity.. 263
Appendix B – E.G. White Statements of Interest. 271
Appendix C – Placing apparent Trinitarian E.G.White statements in Context. 279
Appendix D – Nine Layers that affect our Thinking.. 287
Appendix E – Miller’s Rules for Bible Interpretation.. 288
Appendix F – The Seventh-day Adventist Doctrinal Platform.. 290
Appendix G – A Most Precious Message. 293
Appendix H – Letters relating to the Kellogg Crisis. 297
Appendix I – The Personality of God by James White. 299
Appendix J – Tracing the Prophetic Gift. 302
Appendix K – The 1936 Sabbath School Lessons Quarterly.. 304
Appendix L – 1872 Fundamental Statement of Beliefs. 309
Appendix M – 1931 Statement of Fundamental Beliefs. 313
Appendix N – Waldenses Confession of Faith 1544. 317
Appendix O – Summary of Objections. 319